Business: KTAB | KRBC | Telemundo Abilene
Job title: News Director
Why are you working in this industry? I believe in being informed. Being in the news business has been a dream since I was a child. I feel that I can make a difference, spreading life-saving information and even positive, encouraging news. I believe in informing, educating and empowering the mass public.
What are three daily habits that have helped you to become successful? Making my bed, praying, not forgetting to laugh
Who is the person who most influenced you in business? My grandfather who was the hardest worker I’ve ever known.
What is the best advice you have ever received? A positive attitude is everything, pick your battles
What was the most significant hurdle you had to overcome to get where you are? How would you address this hurdle today? At one time in my career, I had a boss that was quite horrible. I am thankful for her today because she taught me what not to do and how to be a great boss.
What is an accomplishment that shaped your career? Becoming News Director
What changes have you seen in Abilene during your career? What changes would you like to see? I’ve been in Abilene less than three years, and I’m proud to see so much growth across the city. I hope to one day see more activism amongst minorities!
What do you want to be doing in 10 years? I want to still be doing something that I love and is challenging.
What was your first summer job? Snow cone stand
Where will we find you enjoying your hard-earned time off? Visiting family and friends, road trips and home improvement projects.
Describe yourself in one word. Enthusiastic
If you were to give one piece of advice to someone starting out in your field what would it be? Network, network, network!
· Big Brothers Big Sisters - Board Member (Board Member of the Year), Events Committee Chair
· Hispanic Business Council: Chair
· Abilene Chamber of Commerce - Board Member
· Abilene Chamber of Commerce - Executive Committee
· Abilene Convention & Visitor’s Bureau – Board Member
· Abilene Young Professionals – Member
· St. Vincent Pallotti Catholic Church – Member
· Abilene Alzheimer’s Association – Volunteer
· Radio Television Digital News Association (RTDNA) - Member
Your family: Single and ready to mingle!